Wednesday, November 28, 2007

My thoughts on complaining without education.

For a more indepth discussion on the topic please visit: http://docs.google.com/Doc?id=dw5shrc_25gvmkq2g6

I am currently reading The Golden Compass by Pullman. I have noticed recently that Christians are just now forming an opinion about this book. The Golden Compass has been printed since 1995. Twelve years and we are just now forming an opinion. This reminds me of the reaction that we had to the Harry Potter series as well. The fact that these books are written does not sadden me, I particularly love reading books that challenge my faith and cause me to defend what I believe. The fact that we haven't even commented on this story until now, twelve years later and on the brink of a motion picture, shows how uneducated we choose to be. I choose not to read Christian literature any more, because most of it is half truths and subtle attempts at poor theology. But I hear noone complaining about the bad theology in a Left Behind series, Ted Dekker book or Frank Peretti novel. Which should we be complaining about: A Christian book that teaches poor theology (and sometimes herasy) that subtly claims to be a form of truth or a Fantasy book that in no way claims to present a real picture of the world. Maybe we should complain more about Christian literature and movies. Perhaps we should leave those things alone that don't claim to represent reality. And (last rant) perhaps we could pick up books and educate ourselves early so that our complaints will have an impact rather than be relegated to white noise.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree completely. I love Harry Potter and fantasy in general . . . HOWEVER, my favorite author is Ted Dekker, and I like Frank Peretti and the Left Behind series. However I don't base my theology on Left Behind that would be ridiculous and Ted Dekker says he would rather prefer to NOT to be categorized as christian. And as far as his theology he likes to be controversial. Sometimes I think he writes just to get that reaction. Out of curiosity which books of his have you read?

Blog Archive

Books I'm reading in the coming weeks...

  • The Prophet of Yongwood
  • Peter and the Shadow Theives
  • Seeing Redd

Books I've read in 2008...

  • The Prophet of Yongwood
  • The People of Sparks
  • The City of Ember
  • A Wrinkle in Time
  • Jumper
  • I am Legend
  • The Looking Glass Wars
  • Peter and the Starcatchers
  • Peter and the Star Catchers
  • The Feild Guide (Spiderwick)
  • The Seeing Stone (Spiderwick)
  • Lucinda's Secret (Spiderwick)
  • The Ironwood Tree (Spiderwick)
  • The Wrath of Mulgrath (Spiderwick)
  • Messenger
  • Gathering Blue
  • The Golden Compass
  • The Subtle Knife
  • The Amber Spyglass

My Running Totals!

Ministry related books I've recently read...

  • The Multi-site Church Revolution, Surrat, Ligon, and Bird
  • The Big Idea, Fergussen
  • Spiritual Gifts, David Lim
  • Master Your Money, Blue
  • Christ Centered Preaching, Chapell
  • Preaching to a Postmodern World, Johnston
  • The Connecting Church, Frazee
  • Biblical Hermeneutics, Kaiser and Silva
  • 7 Practices of Effective Ministry,
  • Christian Worship, Segler
  • The New Worship, Barry Liesch

The church I attend:

Recent Audiobooks...

  • The Wide Window
  • The Miserable Mill